February 6, 2015
Dear University of Arizona Classified Staff, Staff Advisory Council and Members of the Executive Board:
As I reflect on Academic Year 2014-2015, it is amazing how much your UA Staff Advisory Council has accomplished this year:
- We have restructured our meetings to offer an hour of Professional Development at each meeting. We welcome your suggestions on future speakers or topics you would like to hear at a meeting to further develop your skill set and engage in meaningful, dynamic communications with your colleagues.
- Our meetings are moving around campus so that we come to YOU and learn about the teaching, research and service that our wonderful institution has to offer. For example, our next meeting is set at the College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture on January 13, 2015 from 3-5pm.
- The Professional Development Speakers for Spring Semester 2015 have been confirmed and are on the Staff Advisory Council website. They include:
- Barbara Bryson (Never Settle Strategic Plan);
- Nancy Rogers (Relieving Stress at Your Desk); and
- Allison Vaillancourt (“When You Talk, Do Others Listen?”).
- UPDATE: POSTPONEMENT! You may have noticed that we did not host a tailgate party this year. Instead, we are planning a Staff Appreciation Reception LATER THIS YEAR to honor all members of the Classified Staff! We hope you’ll join us. Look for details and an invitation.
- Classified Staff and Appointed Professionals are now named and included in the Never Settle Strategic Plan as we are critical its ongoing implementation, outcomes and success. Barbara Bryson, who is working on the next version, will speak to us in January 13 at CAPLA about how the Strategic Plan affects Classified Staff and how Classified Staff advances achievement of university goals. Be there!
- The UA Staff Advisory Council is actively engaged, partnered and participate in:
- President Ann Weaver Hart’s Shared Governance;
- Strategic Planning and Budgeting Advisory Council;
- Faculty Senate;
- Appointed Professionals Advisory Council; and
- Commission on the Status of Women.
- Other liaisons and committees are listed on our website at http://sac.arizona.edu/.
- We work closely with the Tri-University Classified Staff, the UA Provost and UA Human Resources regarding salaries, and regarding updates to the Qualified Tuition Reduction policy relating to UA, ASU and NAU. We are partnering with ASU and NAU on the locations of Tri-U meetings, and plan to approach ASU regarding hosting such a meeting later this year at the UA College of Medicine-Phoenix.
- We are negotiating a deeper discount with Campus Recreation for members of the Staff Advisory Council as well as for Classified Staff. The issue was discussed at our December 2, 2014 meeting. If this of an interest to you, please make sure you attend the January 13 meeting at CAPLA as there will be further information from Campus Rec. (If I recall correctly, there may be membership giveaways at the January 13 meeting!)
- Our 2015 Crossroads Conference is set for Wednesday, May 20, 2015, at the Omni Tucson National Resort, 2727 W. Club Dr., Tucson -- SAVE THE DATE! – and watch for registration to open sometime in March 2015!
- Hey! We gotta have SOME fun! We are planning:
- Classified Staff Days at:
- Hi Corbett Field at a UA Baseball game;
- McKale Memorial Center at a Women’s Basketball game. Have you ever attended a day at a Women's Basketball game when fans brought their dogs? I have been to two of them, and our furry family members are SO WELL BEHAVED!
- We also are conducting raffles at every meeting to other UA games and campus events. At the December 2 meeting, we had giveaways to UA Presents, Arizona Football, and the ASU Men’s Basketball game January 4, 2015, at McKale.
- We plan to partner with local Tucson attractions where family members can join us. For example, we just participated in the 20th Annual Tucson Parade of Lights on the UA Double Decker Bus. We had a blast and the crowds that lined the streets on the one-mile parade were incredible. Sheila McGinnis of Community Relations is looking for ways to make the event bigger, better and brighter for next year.
- One of our major goals is to invite and unite with all of the various college and unit staff advisory councils. Please invite your representatives to come with you to the January meeting or any thereafter. We believe one united voice makes us all stronger.
- We are updating our listservs to better serve you and in the New Year plan to ensure all Classified Staff receive regular, timely and important communications that are easier to navigate. We’re working on a survey to HEAR YOUR VOICE. We don’t want to overload your Inbox with messages, so the survey will include an opportunity for you to voice how you’d like us to set the listservs to keep you updated but not inundated!
- To that end, we’re working on our Social Media presence as well, and plan to update our Facebook page, and add Twitter and Instagram accounts. More information on that process will be announced with the survey. If anyone is interested in joining us to work on our Social Media presence, please let us know. We know we have more experts out there! Also, one of the upcoming planned professional development suggestions is becoming comfortable with Social Media, and using various apps to advance your unit, department or college. Stay tuned!
- I have been invited to speak as Chair of the University of Arizona Staff Advisory Council to the Social and Behavioral Sciences Staff Advisory Council on what we’re doing on behalf of Classified Staff, upcoming activities, and the Professional Development opportunities we are offering to increase your value and visibility to the UA and beyond.
Please calendar occasional visits to our website frequently for news and updates, and consider coming to a University of Arizona Staff Advisory Council meeting – and bring a colleague! Again, we are actively accepting suggestions for professional development ideas, speakers and locations for 2015-2016. If you have a conference room you’d like to showcase, let us know. We would love to schedule a meeting in your building and invite you and your colleagues join us.
We're stronger together!
Sheri L. Hill
Presidential Events and Visitor Services, Government Relations
Staff Advisory Council Chair
THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
Direct: (520) 621-1999
Fax: (520) 621-4990